Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bob Dylan I

I have decide that for my next portrait I will be embroidering Bob Dylan. I know that last time I said that I was going to be making a portrait of Michael Jackson, but I decided that I wanted to make something that my dad would appreciate and want. Therefore, Bob Dylan seemed like the best choice, because my dad and I both love his music. I might do a portrait of Michael Jackson after this one if I get it done in time to start another portrait.

I thought that this idea of making a particular craft for someone tied nicely into the reading about patrons and crafters. This is because I chose to make something specifically for my father. He isn't paying me to make it, but this portrait is going to be made to please him. Therefore, I want to make sure that it depicts a person that he admires.

This week I started out by sketching a picture of Bob Dylan. I found a good picture of him on the internet from the sixties, but I added a cigarette in his mouth. I thought that during that particular time, Dylan was almost always seem smoking and it became a signature of his in a way.


I also wanted to incorporate his name in the portrait somewhere, so I wrote "Dylan" in the puff of smoke from his cigarette. I'm not sure how much I like how this looks. I may end up just writing the name beneath the face like on my Obama portrait.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you're taking such a traditional craft as this & making it your own by using it to create portraits of icons. Dylan is a great idea. I'm excited to see the finished product. Also, I like the way you added the cigarette & incorporated his name into the smoke. I agree, it has become somewhat of his trade mark & adds a lot to the picture. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete